Residential St Louis Indoor Air Quality
These pollutant levels are often caused by inadequate ventilation. Outdoor air is needed to dilute these emissions and carry indoor air pollutants out of the home. High temperatures and humidity levels also contribute to high pollutant levels.
Call Accel Heating & Cooling at 314-541-4069 to have one of our licensed technicians talk to you about your indoor air, and our fine air quality products.
Common air pollutants found in homes include:
- Biological debris, dust mites, and pet dander – which can all cause respiratory irritation and trigger asthma attacks
- Volatile organic compounds – chemicals found in paints and lacquers, paint strippers, cleaning supplies, varnishes and waxes, pesticides, building materials and furnishings, office equipment, moth repellents, air fresheners, and dry-cleaned clothing
- Combustion pollutants – derived from improperly vented or unvented fuel-burning appliances such as space heaters, woodstoves, gas stoves, water heaters, dryers, and fireplaces.
- Carbon monoxide – colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly
- Nitrogen dioxide – colorless, odorless gas causes respiratory irritation and increases risk of infection
- Secondhand smoke – a result of burning tobacco products. It is the cause of serious respiratory illnesses
Improving Indoor Air Quality
The most effective way to improve indoor air is to eliminate sources of pollutants or reduce their emissions. This can be achieved through:
- Proper ventilation – increase the amount of fresh air that is brought indoors.
- Change filters regularly to trap dust and other pollutants